Sunday, July 1, 2007

Hitting a Target beyond 5 to 7 Yards, Why?


In Ireland I visited an old military friend who has lost his memory so he didn’t have a clue who I was. While visiting his family his granddaughters came to visit him and they had all just acquired 25 caliber guns for protection. I volunteered to give them a lesson in shooting their weapons.

Since they didn’t know this I thought I should share it with you all too. If you have a handgun for protection, you only need to be accurate from about 5 yards away from your target. In urban violence the action 99% of the time is taking place in a confined area.

The difference between life and death is making sure the safety is off, that the gun is loaded and there is a bullet in the chamber. Once you have that down then you need to practice your speed in firing. Never try to anticipate the bang. If you do you will most likely milk your shot. Aim for the chest and fire quickly. It’s hard to fire quickly when you’re aiming. This is where practice comes in. If you can learn to shoot from the hip it’s even better.

They still sell black silhouettes in Ireland. These are against the law in America but I smuggled some in my hollow cane.

Justice fo’ all.

9 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

.25 caliber? What the hell are they going to shoot with that? A roach?

I know handgun laws are strict in the UK. Is that the only thing you can get over there? I would have suggested a .32 or even a .380, unless they could get a 9mm or something.

Jenn said...

Don't you mean African American silhouettes?

M@ said...

Some Spanish homies jumped me once in DC and put a gun to my head.

Instantly, I turned and ran, figuring they wouldn't be able to hit me w/ a handgun (beyond that five-yard perimeter) and I think they knew that, too.

One said to the other, "No, don't."

M@ said...

They might have had better luck throwing the handgun at me.

Regardless, outrunning four urban black teenagers just about trumped everything I did on the track in high school. :)

Anonymous said...

The Lazy,

I know but women like small guns that don't take up much room in their pocketbook. Obviously it's not going to blow a hole through someone but a few shots to the chest will hurt.

Emma,

You bad hot girl you, hush.

Matt,

Yep, the wetbacks were probably drunk too. Handguns are hard to fire accurately unless you practice a lot and most thugs don't practice. It's surprising how many people can miss a target at 5 yds.

Track team experience is a big plus. If I'm out at night and a black approaches I run. I'm not looking for trouble.

Anonymous said...

I once saw a headless dog at a carnival

The Lazy Iguana said...

Krok - like a .32 or .380 is any larger. Hell a compact 9mm is not much larger. And then there is always an airweight .38 special.

shot placement is very important with a .25 - miss the eyeball and it is just going to piss someone off.

I would rather pack a .22 WMR derringer.

Herr Krokodil said...

Doozie,

Was it a golden retriever? I left the body in the road. This is weird.

The Lazy,

I know man. I was just a guest in their house. I did tell them that it would be best to run.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Sage advice indeed.

Are handguns legal in the UK?